How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Running Partner Position Opening

January is over, and typically I enjoy this first month of the year as my birth month. However, this one has been suspect. It's been a January of ups and downs both from a running standpoint and on a personal side.

In this month of the marathon training plan I was supposed to do 177 miles. But, I only did 124. Although this month had some severe weather in Indiana with the blizzard of 2012 and some drastic temperature fluctuations this didn't seem to bother me that much. What was the real problem? The problem I suspect was a couple of things. First, I began to experience some issues with the treadmill, I would get dizzy during my runs. I still haven't figured out what's causing this, although one dailymile friend suggested that it may just be a visual thing. In other words I'm not able to find a fixed point to focus my vision on and thus I'm getting dizzy. This might be the case.
In the last week of January I had some leg pain that is unexplained. Basically I have pain in the upper quad, or hip flexor area and in the glut area all on the same leg. It makes it difficult to walk let alone run. Although this is getting better with rest. So, hopefully this will take care of itself. Thankfully this was a recovery week so I'm trying to stay positive. I've also lost my running buddy. I won't get into the specifics of this because it also revolves around the personal stuff which at this time I'm not comfortable with getting into. But, it is much easier to do the 20 milers with a friend than it is to do them alone. I've tried to reach out to others to do some group runs without success due to scheduling conflicts and such but it's never fun when you lose a close friend.
There are some other personal things that have been going on that have caused this month to not be that great. Again I won't get into these things here but it has to do with family issues outside of my immediate family. I will just say that there are multiple conflicts going on that although I'm not directly involved in it's taxing from a mental standpoint. I'm not sure how it is for most, but for me I have to be in a good frame of mind to complete big runs. I just haven't been there. So, the running has suffered.
One of the ups that I've been experiencing is the fact that I've actually had a sense of closeness that I've not felt with my children in some time. I chalk this up to my level of patience and attentiveness to them. This is a good thing and I feel blessed to have them reaching out to me. I love my little girls with all my heart, but I know I've not always shown them how much I love them. I want to be a good father to them and have been making more effort to show them this love, and it's paying off.
I'm looking forward to February, as today is the first day of this short month. This is the 182 mile month in my training plan in preparation for the Carmel Marathon in April. I've officially signed up for this run so it's a go! However with the set back that January provided I may have to adjust my goal pace back a little but I should be able to tell better where I am at toward the end of the month.
I hope all who read this have a good February, and appreciate the families they have. On a side note, if you would like to get together for a run and we live near each other I'm open to that. Just reach out because I have an opening for a running partner.

3 comments:

  1. I am volunteering in the VIP tent for the Carmel Marathon. Running Indy Mini and Geist Half, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to run the Mini again this year. Assuming it's still open when I can register for it. Maybe I'll see you at the VIP tent.

      Delete
  2. I'm doing the Mini, Geist Half and Indianapolis Half this year. Might be doing the Hendrick's County relay, and will likely do a few mud races along the way.
    Not to the point of a full -- scares me still.
    I'd love to catch a run, but I'm slow compared to your paces. Maybe later spring?

    This is my birthday month! This is also the year I had hoped to make running more important, really focus, but I've had extended family things getting in the way of that for years, so I totally understand how that is. I very much appreciate what you say about family. I honestly do the running for my kids. Just went out one day to tap off stress and it stuck. Good for you. Was really nice to read. :)

    ReplyDelete