How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Carmel Marathon 2014


So this winter has been horrid! There enough said!!!

Thankfully it seems to be getting close to normal. It's April 18th as I'm writing and it hasn't snowed since the 14th. The Carmel Marathon is in the books, and while it wasn't even close to a full training cycle I'm counting this as a win. It was rough at 16 or so and my longest training run just happened to be around 17 I think... But let's look at the wins:
WIN:1
I was able to meet up with Mike H. (A Hendricks County Runner) At the start line. He ran a nicely paced half.
WIN:2
I also got a chance to talk to Harry (another Hendricks County Runner) who was helping set up the finish line. 
WIN:3
I had the best support crew a husband and father could have!
WIN:4
I hung with the 4 hour pace group easily up until somewhere between mile 15-16 that's when it started to get tough.
WIN:5
Even though it was physically tough I was able to push through mentally, and persevere!

SOME FUNNY THINGS:
I don't remeber the mile marker but some lady in a white Urban Assault Vehicle was mad that traffic was stopped. So she started laying on her horn. The entire group started laughing and it kept things light and fun. You could hear the horn for over a quarter mile away, I'm sure she eventually got to where she was going.

At mile 24ish I stopped at a med tent, to get checked out. A first for me but the lady was supper nice. My hands were going numb and I could only feel the tingles. I figured it was low blood sugar, which it was, glucose taken feeling better, Ironically I run high when my blood pressure is taken but surprisingly after 24 miles my blood pressure was great. (I guess I should run to my doctors office from now on)

Headed toward the finish! 
Overall a great event and a fun time! 
Want to see some funny splits? Of course you do!
8:54, 9:02, 9:01, 8:44, 9:09, 9:13, 8:46, 8:48, 9:02, 8:58, 9:14, 8:52, 9:12, 8:56, 8:50. Looks good right? Well, hang on:
Mile 16; 9:41, 10:40, 10:59, 11:31, 10:48, 12:09, 13:08, 13:33, 13:52, 13:23, 11:27.
Yep there was some walking going on there.

Next race, THE BIG ONE! Ultra 45 miles,
I better get training!

How do you push through those tough runs?

No comments:

Post a Comment