How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Friday, January 3, 2014

A year in review, looking forward

I thought I'd take some time and review 2013. 
It was a year that started with all the gusto and possibilities. I was coming off of a marathon PR, and immediately started training for the next one. The Hendricks County Runners was just getting started and my vision for that club was large. Early in the year I set a modern day PR in a half marathon (not including my high school time). Then the wheels fell off.....

I got sick and the Marathon training derailed, then I lost my mojo. I tried to recover and train for another marathon but never made it to the start line, instead opting to run the half with a friend as a pacer. Looking back at the year it feels like a wasted opportunity. Now, before you think I'm going to get all "woes me" on you let me say I've done some reflecting and learned some things.

What did I learn?
I learned that I still have some speed in these legs if I put in the work. Just like everything in life if you do the work you will be rewarded. I learned that I can't get down on myself for a poor performance. This will happen, things won't always go exactly as planned. I also learned that starting this running club is a benefit not only for myself, but now we have members who I see are getting better and more consistent in their running. Although this takes some time in my life it's well worth the effort. 

What does the new year hold?
I've no idea, but it's going to be a fun journey! 
I do have some goals for the upcoming 2014. What's a good way to keep yourself accountable for these goals? You guessed it! Tell people. 
So here they are:
1. A 40 miler around the time of my 40th birthday.
2. A sub 1:40 half marathon
3. A sub 4 hour full
4. A modern era PR in a 5k
5. Log the most miles ever in a year for me.
6. Stay injury free

So there you have it, now you can help keep me accountable.

New Playlist additions:
1. Bad Blood, Bastille
2. Come A Little Closer, Cage The Elephant
3. Hippy Hill, Grouplove
4. So Into You, Wilhelm Tell Me
5. Making Art, JD Samson & Men

No comments:

Post a Comment