How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sometimes you got it, and sometimes you don't

Right after my new PR for a half marathon at the Sam Costa I became sick. Most of the time I push through this and just grind it out. But this one hit hard, I ended up taking two days off from work which is extremely rare for me. This sickness lingered for almost a month.

The morning of the Carmel Marathon arrived and I didn't feel very much of the sickness left but I had taken almost a month off from training.I wasn't sure how this was going to go but this was supposed to be my "A" race this year. So I decided to go for it and hang with the 3:35 pace group.

Everything started fine when we headed out. We were clicking off 8:12 miles like no ones business. At mile six I started to feel a little fatigue in my legs and fell off the back of the pace group. I stayed calm and slowly reeled them back in within a half mile. By mile 8 I could feel the weight still in my chest from being sick. I started coughing up the remains of my lung. Then my right calf started to get tight. I could still run but I started to slow. Somewhere between 8 and 9 I lost my pace group, and had the 3:40 group pass me. Things were going down hill fast. I continued to cough up the lung and by the time I saw my wife and kids at mile 10 I felt like I'd already run a full marathon. I continued on and muddled through the next mile before I really lost all motivation and will to continue. I battled through not wanting to quit but thinking it may be the best thing. I was so discouraged, disappointed, and generally pissed off.

At mile 12 when I couldn't stop coughing up the lung I decided it wasn't my day. I called Tammy and told her to pick me up. This was the hardest decision I had made about running, and one I hope to never have to make again. It is still disappointing even after a couple of weeks have passed. It's even hard to sit here and type this out. I felt like a failure. My children were there and I was worried about what kind of example I would be setting for them.

Since then I've tried to come to grips with my decision and I think it was the right one, even as hard as it may have been to make. Some runs are up and some runs are down, sometimes you got it and sometimes you don't. The key is to try not to dwell on the negative, but focus on the positive and keep getting out there to do what you love. In my case I'll run...

Have you ever had to drop out of a race or DNF'd? 

Playlist Additions
1. Synthesizers by Butch Walker and The Black Widows
2. The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel
3. Tourist by Yuna
4. No Wow by The Kills
5. Down By The Water by The Decemberists

Now get out there and run.

No comments:

Post a Comment