How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Pop Quiz

This has been the longest training cycle I've ever undertaken. I have had some fluctuations throughout and as such early on I had planned to have a couple of test before "A" day. That is the A race, the Carmel Marathon is on April 20th.

The Goal
This was the Sam Costa half marathon, a similar course to the Carmel Marathon with lots of turns and some quote, unquote rolling hills. My goal for Carmel is a 3:35 marathon. What I wanted to accomplish in the Sam Costa was to maintain an 8minute mile pace throughout. But I wanted to do this and not have to push hard to get it done. I knew it wouldn't be an easy pace, but I didn't want to feel as though I was out of control and giving everything I had to accomplish this. I also wanted to make sure I could keep an even pace, not going out to fast and possibly even or negative split this thing.

My thinking is this, if I can maintain an 8 minute pace and have that pace be controlled for a half marathon then the likely hood that I can maintain an 8:12 pace for the full a month away would be greater.
Granted it's only 12 seconds off over 26 miles, but I wanted this to be a test, or a pop quiz. I guess the real test is April 20th. 

The first 7
The first seven miles was good, I felt controlled I settled into a rhythm and found my group to run with. 

Although we did have some instances where we had to run with some traffic it was a nice steady seven. Most of the turns come after the half way point as you can see.

7:28 oh, a little too fast
7:56 better, settle in
8:00 nailed it

Official 7 mile time 55:45 in 184th place.

Finishing the half
So far so good, everything was feeling fine I felt really good. I powered through mile 8 which had the second biggest climb of the day in it.  I began to pass people and or shed people from my group. I always find it best to think of the groups as mine. It gives me ownership and internal power, even though it's only perceived. :)

8:15 got clogged at the water station
7:56 + the point one.
overall 1:44:02 official time NEW PR!

I finished in 143rd place passing over 40 people the second half and negative split this race. I will say the finishing stretch was a bear as you head up an S turn hill into the finishing shoot, not cool. But it worked out well.


I'm pleased with my performance and look forward to the true test on April 20th. The nutrition went well as did my stomach, no issues!

Now get out there and run.

That's me in the red, on a side note look at all the heal strikers.

No comments:

Post a Comment