How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Giving Back, it's Time

After my aneurysm ruptured, I don't remember much from the time in the hospital before my surgery. But, I do remember thinking that if I was to live past the current predicament that I was in I would make sure to "give back." Giving back can be exemplified in many different forms, you can donate, volunteer, start a non-profit, etc... I started a company, and one of the founding principles of the company is that a portion of the profits would go to different charities that I wanted to support.

As I began running and got more and more involved in the running community by attending races and expo's, as well as being involved on twitter, etc. I came across a nonprofit that really resonated with me. You may have heard of Back on My Feet before, but I was introduced to them via twitter and thought that it was a very neat concept.

Back on My Feet Indianapolis, at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Indianapolis IN
Here's the basics of BoMF from their website: Back on My Feet (BoMF) is a national nonprofit organization that is dedicated to creating independence and self-sufficiency within the homeless and other underserved populations by first engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem. The organization does not provide food nor shelter, but instead provides a community that embraces equality, respect, discipline, teamwork and leadership. Back on My Feet’s approach focuses on the very profound and innate desire for all of us – regardless of age, race, socio-economic status – to feel recognized, appreciated, valued and important. Through dedication and hard work, Members earn the opportunity to create a new road for themselves by advancing to the “Next Steps” phase of the program where they gain access to educational, job training and employment opportunities, as well as financial aid. In short, BoMF focuses on changing the direction of people’s lives by changing the way they see themselves.

I met the Communications director of the Indianapolis chapter at the Carmel Marathon expo in 2011 where I was running their half with my wife for her first 13.1 miles. We talked for a little while there and have kept in touch via twitter. After running the Chicago Marathon I had heard of others running for charity but didn't know exactly how it worked, but I thought that it might be a fun opportunity to do that at some point.

This brings us to real time where I will be running the 2012 edition of the 500 Festival Mini Marathon for Back on My Feet's Indianapolis charter. I'm raising money for them to continue to do the great work that they do everyday. I would love to be more involved with them and run with their groups, however the time that they meet doesn't match up with my work schedule so I'll have to be content with helping in this manner. Maybe at some point in the future I could do more with them but for I'll work to raise money.

I'm committed to raising a thousand dollars to run the Mini Marathon for BoMF, although I'd like to reach a higher dollar amount. Eighteen hundred is the amount that it takes to get a participant through the entire program which I think would be great. I'm telling you this not to brag or say look at me. But I'm telling you this to hopefully inspire you to do something you've not done before and get involved to give back.  If that means donating to something I'd love it if you donated to me. But if it means doing your own fundraising program, then I say what are you waiting for? Get started now!

If you choose to donate to my cause here's the link, I thank you, but there is no pressure.
My Fundraising Page

No comments:

Post a Comment