How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sidenotes vol. 1

Since I last updated you I've had quite a bit going on, I'll try to be fairly brief and bring you up to speed.

Jeremy Wright Memorial 5k: 
I ran the Jeremy Wright Memorial 5k on August 13th as planned, and although I had an age group positioning lower than last year, my time was faster. I ended up going out a little too fast at the start and paid for it a little later. My first mile split (my tracker had poor reception so these are close guesstimates) was 6:45, followed by 8:21, and a 7:49 plus the point 1. This came out to an official time of 23:26 which just happens to be a PR for myself. I was happy with this as I'd not been doing any real speed work since I'm actually in training for my first marathon attempt in October. I did not win my age group this year but I did get a door prize which was nice.

Marathon Training:
I've really been trying to increase the long runs this month as we're getting close to race day. The Chicago Marathon is on October 9th this year, and I'll be there running it with 45,000 other runners. I ran my first 20 mile long run with some success. I took it nice and slow just wanting to make sure that I got it finished. I did finish it, however, I did experience a little chaffing. Then it was time to try my hand at my first ice bath which was cold but relaxing. Work has been a little hectic and has made my training difficult to get in at times but I continue to be creative and find ways to make it happen. I run at night, or early in the morning. I do not run super early in the morning though, mostly because I can't seem to get my body moving that early unless it's race day.

My Brain:
I had a brain scan to see if any additional aneurysms have formed since my last surgery. I went in to the hospital and was hooked up to an IV so they could inject a dye so they could see the contrast in the veins better. The nurse told me that I might experience a hot flash when they inject the dye and I didn't think much about it but WOW! When that stuff started flowing through my veins the hot flash was like a giant wave that washed over my entire body. It was extremely hot and uncomfortable but it only lasted for a few seconds. I did get the results back a few weeks later and my doctor informed me that I am clear of any abnormalities. I'm so excited, as was my wife and family. Thankfully I still get to run the marathon. I had a deal with my wife that if it came back and I did have another formation I would not be running the marathon this year.

Until next time..... keep on running!

1 comment:

  1. Remember that hot flash when your wife hits menopause, decades into the future, of course. :)