How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Youthful Runner

The other day I was reading my June issue of the Running Times magazine. I was reading a great article titled "Kids Going Long" by Jonathan Beverly. The article looks at opposing viewpoints on the subject of how many miles should young runners run, and can too many miles ruin young runners? I believe this article does a good job at highlighting these viewpoints but the thing I took away from this is that the miles are fine as long as the kids want to run, and they build gradually.

One of the main runners Jonathan Beverly looks at is Alana Hadley and her 70 plus miles per week at age 14. There are those that say this is too much for these young kids, but she's gradually built up to this mileage over the course of 8 years. If she's not having fun or is being pushed by her parents then it's probably not a  good thing. But if it's her choice then let her be and let her have fun.

For me I found this article interesting because my oldest daughter has begun to ask about running some races with her mom and myself. I couldn't be happier with her interest in running. While I was running through school I found the experience to be very enriching and hope that if that's what she chooses to do that she will find it to be the same. At only eight years old and a bundle of energy I can see in her a young distance runners body. But, I've never been sure about how early to start letting her run. I'd been doing some research on youth running and when it was safe to start letting kids run. I've also noticed that I'm starting to see kids her age at some of the races I've attended.

After seeing the progression that Alana Hadley had gone through over the years I have decided to allow my daughter to begin her training. We will however have some ground rules going into this, and it will be her choice and I will be there to encourage, and support her in whatever she decides to do.

If you have a child, I suggest you read this article and then let them run responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment