How did I get the name theBrainrunner?

Well it's a long story but I'll keep it breif. On November 3rd, 2008 I was getting ready for work and passed out in the shower. Luckily, my wife was home at the time and ran upstairs to find me and after having trouble reviving me she then called the paramedics. After an ambulance ride, followed by a CT scan, then a helicopter ride to another hospital I ended up having surgery to repair a ruptured Brain Aneurysm. 5 months later I had two more aneurysms clipped. I was thankful to be alive, as 40% of ruptures are fatal, and 66% suffer from some permanent neurological deficit. I use to be a runner in High School, and after I had recovered from the surgeries I wanted to be healthier than I had been at that time so my wife and I started running again. Every time I run I'm thankful to be alive and able to be outside doing what I love. Thus, theBrainrunner was born.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

New to this blogging thing

I'm new to this blogging thing. I've never written a blog before today. I've read several but this is a whole new experience for me. My plan is to share my training, trials and tribulations, race reports, etc... I'll keep you updated on my brain of course, as I am supposed to be going back for scans regularly.
My next race is the Bulldog Jog coming up on March  5th, I think. I've not registered yet, that I'm aware of, as my beautiful wife takes care of the registration stuff for us. Last years race was her first ever and my first race in many years. I ran it right by her side and we had a great time. But, this year I want to push it, and see what I can do at this race. The course is mostly flat and or down hill, so it is FAST! I'll let you know how it goes! If your interested to sign up for this race you can at http://www.butler.edu/alumni/events/calendar/bulldog-jog
Thanks, theBrainrunner

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mike,
    Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to the blogging world.

    I am happy to hear that you are another Aneurysm survivor! My Mom had an aneurysm clipped and another one coiled in 2007 and I am thankful for every day we have with her. In 2008, I was diagnosed with a small aneurysm myself and have been placed on the "watch and wait" list with yearly check-ups. It surely does make you appreciate life! I look forward to reading your blog updates!

    ReplyDelete